Saturday, October 20, 2007

Round Robin Challenge: "Shadowland"

What a perfect challenge this week; "Shadowland"; Vicki, author of the blog, Maraca came up with this one. She says:

"October. Darkness reigns and spirits gather. Gone are the sunlit days of summer, and the heart turns strange and melancholy. Welcome to Shadowland.

The theme is open-ended, so go with whatever your imagination can conjure. Photograph actual shadows, perhaps; capture the mood in a striking portrait or landscape, or even - if you dare- catch a ghost. This would be a great time to try working in black and white or to experiment with editing and effects. After all, it's Shadowland. Anything could happen."


stem shadow
Pumpkin stem shadow

shadows and foliage
Shadows and foliage

poppet shadows
Poppet shadows

5 pm shadows
5 o'clock Shadow

shell and shadow
Shell and shadow

shadow2
Werewolf shadow?

The Shade and The Shadows
Scary shadowy branches

17 comments:

Robin said...

I love the shell - the light on the sand is magical. Love the header too, is it new?

Deb R said...

I love photos that feature shadows and this is a fantastic set!

Carly said...

Hi Janet

You have put together some striking photos! I am especially impressed with the "werewolf' photo. :) Very good interpretation of the challenge.

Always, Carly

mks said...

Ohh I love the last two but that is no werewolf shadow - that is a weremax shadow. Spooky dog that he is those ears give him away!

Teena in Toronto said...

Cool pix! You've got a good eye!

Mine's up too :)

Suzanne R said...

Fantastic photos, Janet! A bit spooky, some of them, too -- perfect for the theme!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Ooh, lots of cool stuff here. I love the shadow on the grave marker, and the chapel or church as seen from above, and the pattern of branches on the orange background. Well done indeed!

Nancy said...

Incredible! Love them all...especially the shell and the grave.

Well done!

Nancy

http://journals.aol.com/nhd106/Nancyluvspix/entries/2007/10/20/shadowland/2030

Steven said...

These are very nice. Hard to choose just one. The Poppet Shadows make me smile.

Anonymous said...

Now I am really scared, lol ! Beautiful pictures you made there !

MyMaracas said...

What a beautiful group of photos! I especially like the church one. It seems peaceful and calm with the shadows, a great place for contemplation.

Sue said...

I do love the werewolf :) -- Jacob perhaps :)

Janet said...

Robin: Thanks :-) The header's been up for a few months or so, I believe!

debr: Thank you! There's something about shadows that has always fascinated me.

mks: Weremax LOL! True!

suzanne: I like spooky!

Carly, teena, Karen, Nancy, gattina, mymaracas: Thanks!

Steven: Don't they make great photographic subjects!

Sue: Good one! I do like Jacob!

Anonymous said...

wonderful job on this theme. loved them all.

Becky said...

I came looking for the current challenge, but I'm glad I saw these first. I love what you did! I'm adding you to my bloglines, for sure. Nice work!

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

I found you by way of Robyn (just sayin) I like your photos the one of the grave stone -I like the way you captured the angle of light.

damozel said...

I adore these...the shell and the terrifying little poppets and the werewolf/max....