Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Round Robin Challenge: Mailboxes

The challenge this week is "Mailboxes".


Waiting For The Mail, a sculpture by Lowell Davis. He is most famous for his detailed porcelain sculptures of domesticated farm animals and says:
I think the animals were the magic of my work. I have a dog that paid for this entire farm. Just an old dog that I bought for a dollar at a pound. She had mange and blisters all over. They were going to destroy her that afternoon. I said, "I’ll take that one." She went to all my shows with me. I used her in four figurines and eleven plates. The very first figurine I did was the dog sitting by the mailbox. It was an instant hit. She made me tons of money. I still give her a little credit for paying for the farm. In fact, that’s why I put a paw print on my work.


I have quite a few of his sculptures, used to collect them in my 20s :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I like that. The quote adds a very special touch.

endomental said...

What a cool photo. I wouldn't have thought of a miniature.

Carly said...

:)
Hi Janet

That sculpture is adoreable. What a cute way to do the challenge! :)

-Carly

Steven said...

That's a cute sculpture. Thanks for the story from the artist too. Great little mailbox :-)

Suzanne R said...

I love success stories like his! What a neat figurine, too. Nice job!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I like that figurine - good shapes and colors, and very well photographed. And how wonderful that the artist and the dog benefited so much from meeting each other!

Teena in Toronto said...

How cute is that!!

Thanks for stopping by mine :)

Tawnya Shields said...

Anything with animals I love. I like your pics that you post. Very nice.
Thank you for stopping by my blog.