Saturday, September 22, 2007

Round Robin Challenge: "Talisman"

The challenge this week is "Talisman"; Vicki, author of the blog, Maraca came up with this challenge:

love the word itself, "talisman," so mysterious and evocative. Talismans protect against evil or bring good luck. Many things come to mind, from a bowler's lucky shirt to folk amulets. Odd garden ornaments that include glass spheres and beads are fairly common these days, and would fit the bill. It could be something unusual that a bird has woven into a nest, a necklace or a saint medallion, coins, a stone, a special place ... anything, really, that says "magic lives here."

A friend made this for me when we were 14 and enamored of all things different and new to us. It says: "Fire cannot burn me; Earth cannot bury me; Air cannot freeze me; Water cannot drown me" we found it in a book of spells and it was cast for protection. I've had it close by ever since...just because.

A coin my boss gave me when I was working at Yokota Air Base in Japan. One of the things I miss most about working on a military base...your efforts were actually appreciated, unlike my present job. And with the lack of appreciation...my effort fades as well. Not good, I know!

I've had this guy since my early 20s...a talisman of sorts applicable to this day [one of the Wee Forest Folk collectible figurines made by Annette Petersen]

My preciousssssss

boliyou
Percolation
http://boliyou.blogspot.com

Carly - Posted!
Ellipsis
http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com

Karen - Posted!
Outpost Mâvarin
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com

Vicki - Posted!
Maraca
http://mymaracas.blogspot.com

Janet - Posted!
fond of photography
http://fondofphotography.blogspot.com

Suzanne R - Posted!
New Suzanne R's Life
http://newsuzannerslife.blogspot.com

Nancy - POSTED!
Nancy Luvs Pics
http://journals.aol.com/nhd106/Nancyluvspix

Kerrin - Posted!
a new day
http://kerrinsdailyphoto.blogspot.com

Steven - Posted!
(sometimes)photoblog
http://sepintx.blogspot.com

Teena - Posted!
It's all about me!
http://purple4mee.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Steven said...

Love the Wee Forest Folk figurine! That is so cool. Something I'd display. Great talismans!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Wow! Does Gandalf know you have the One Ring? (heh, heh, heh.) I love the one with the incantation on it, too. What a cool keepsake of that time and that person! What is it made of? Looks kind of like a shrinky Dink!

Janet said...

Karen, Gandalf swore me to secrecy but I couldn't resist sharing it ;-)
Not sure what a shrinky dink is, but the incantation was written on parchment and sealed with a laminate.

Thanks, Steven!

MyMaracas said...

I love the spell thing. I can see you and your friend as kids, caught up in making magic. What a great memory!

Vicki

kmm said...

What lovely talismans. The one from your friend is my favourite, because I think there is nothing like friends. Cheers Kerrin

Suzanne R said...

Very neat talismans. I can see where each would have its own special meaning. The little figurine especially appeals to me. Nice job!

Theresa said...

just started looking at your blog and already it doesn't surprise me that your little figurine is holding a camera. Love your pictures!

Lisa said...

So many cool things, I'm on overload. That spell is precious! And don't even get me started on that ring. Haha. I love.