
I recently took a photography class, Digital Photography II. The class description goes like this:
This course will explore the world of digital photography and how it differs from (and is sometimes the same as) film photography. The class will get photo assignments each week. Bring in digital photos which we will view on our projector, and discuss the merits and problems of the work. The class will be much like the film photography classes we have, but the medium here is digital. Since photo enhancing, adjusting, and retouching are part of the kit of tools available to the digital photographer, we will be using Adobe Photoshop and its magical kit of tools to help correct and adjust our photos where needed. However, the primary thrust of the class will be photographic techniques, with mechanical enhancements as an added, but secondary, attraction.
Last night was our second class, and the first where we had homework. Our assignment was to bring in no more than 8 portrait shots and he would critique them.
As it happened, my shots were up first. He loaded them onto the projection screen, looked at the first one (I think it was the one of Dad), looked at me and said: "What are you doing in this class?" I took it as a complement :-)
He had a criticism on only one picture, the one of the woman holding the orange. He said that as she seems to be offering the orange to the viewer, it needed to be in focus, too. I agree!



2 comments:
She does look like she wants you to take it from her. You have such an amazing eye. I'm glad to see that someone else recognizes that.
Excellent! One of my specialties has become environmental portraits, which is funny considering I hated them in the beginning! Early in my career, I thought of myself as a photojournalist and I really enjoyed the storytelling aspect, but I realized that at some point I had to learn the portrait concept as well.
These days I do as much environmental portraiture as I do photojournalism, but I have also discovered that I can approach them in much the same way...I basically think of it as getting my subject to talk to me through their eyes and expressions...and when it works, it is genius!
Hope all is going well for you...remember...you can e-mail me if you have any questions...I am actually mentoring now...I love helping people realize their talent:-)
I really like the shot of the girl and the dog...the softness of the moment is understated and beautiful.
Post a Comment