Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Round Robin Photo Challenges - Summer Gardens

The challenge this week is Summer Gardens:

I started my garden two years ago, with the help of my friend Pat. The first year it was GREAT; last year it was a sorry mess; this year, I enlarged it to give the tomatos some room :-)

Say hello to the Jolly Elf grape tomatoes (that's their brand name and it's why I chose them LOL). Some of them are just about ready to pick! Maybe tonight after the full moon, they'll be good for a scallop dish I read about in a magazine this past weekend.

Here's a larger view of the garden, it includes the wildly overgrown mint & sage as well as the plum tomatoes.

I plucked the tops of some basil, and as the flowers are beautiful and fragrant, I decided to float them in a bowl of water to scent the house.

Linking list

rRose
WAIT-NOTYET-/ - Posted!
http://journals.aol.com/rrveh1/WAIT-NOTYET-/

Carly
Ellipsis...Suddenly Carly - Posted!
http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com

Karen
Outpost Mâvarin - Posted!
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com

Tammy
The Daily Warrior - Posted!
http://mylifeasawarrior.blogspot.com

Nancy
Nancy Luvs Pix
http://journals.aol.com/nhd106/Nancyluvspix/

Robin
Search the Sea
http://searchthesea.blogspot.com

Suzanne R
New Suzanne R's Life - Posted!
http://newsuzannerslife.blogspot.com

boliyou***Welcome New Member***
Percolation
http://boliyou.blogspot.com

John
Personal effects - Posted!
http://personaleffects.blogspot.com

Maryanne
Inside the Gilded Cage - Posted!
http://insidethegildedcage.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

John said...

Heya! Love the closeup of the tomatoes and depth of field. And I like the twist with the basil dish (mm, basil!)

Maribeth said...

Love your garden, cousin!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Grape tomatoes are cool, and I really like your photo of them. I'm guessing that they didn't even exist until a few years ago,and now they're everywhere. I grew up with cherry tomatoes, but grape tomatoes are better, I think.

I like the flowers in the bowl, too, especially in that particular bowl. Very nice!

K.

Carly said...

Hi Janet. Great job with the lovely photos. I had no idea that basil blossoms were so pretty. :) Those tomatoes look delicious, yours it the second journal I have visited that featured tomatoes. Ok, now I am hungry! LOL

Tammy Brierly said...

Nothing better than garden tomatoes :) We can't grow them here because the deer rule:( Our retirement home will be perfect for tomatoes. Good luck with new dish.

Anonymous said...

I wish we had a garden sometimes. I love the pic of teh grape tomatoes! Wonderful pictures!

Suzanne R said...

Oh wow, your garden is so beautiful and prolific! And I loooove grape tomatoes! Great pictures of it all!

Janet said...

John: I thought the tomatoes and basil went well together, thanks!

Maribeth: Yours is gorgeous, too!

Karen: Do you know, I didn't even realize they were grape tomatoes when I bought them? I was looking for cherry...but saw the "Elf" name and grabbed 'em LOL! That bowl came from Japan, and it's from a set that's been in storage, oh, for almost 10 years now!

Carly: Thank you :-) Nothing like fresh tomatoes!!

Tammy: Do deer like them? I didn't fence in my tomatoes this year and so far, so good! We mostly have woodchucks, skunks, possums, squirrels & turkeys around here, tho.

Dawn: Tomatoes, I'm told, do well in container pots, too!

Suzanne R.: Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I would love to grow some of those elf tomatoes,I like the way they hang in a neat row.
great photos.
Maxsox5@aol.com
http://journals.aol.com/maxsox5/MAXSOX5_JOURNAL/
http://journals.aol.com/maxsox5/summer-breeze/

endomental said...

Great garden! Our condo association doesn't allow us to grow produce (no sense to me at all), but I sneak in some herbs now and then. Your basil flowerd up nicely.

Janet said...

Connie: It does make for nice photos!

boliyou: Makes no sense to me, either...just another reason I don't want to live in a condo! Too many rules for me ;-0