Thursday, December 06, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #97

T13
Thirteen Things about Christmas and me!


1. I LOVE Christmas! It's such a magical time of year. Miracles do happen, you know.

2. The Christmas songs are fantastic; Chestnuts Roasting, Jingle Bells, Santa Baby, Silent Night, Father Christmas, even Santa Claus and His Old Lady by Cheech and Chong...love it all!

3. The decorations are just so beautiful and I love getting them all out, being flooded with memories about where I got this one, or that one. My first ex-husband and I really got into Christmas and we bought many decorations together...I ended up with them. I like to put the tree up as early the day after Thanksgiving, depending, of course, where Thanksgiving falls in the month, and I don't take it down til a week into the new year. Only see it once a year, might as well enjoy it!

4. Finding a perfect present for someone and watching them smile when opening it...love it!

5. I don't look at Christmas as a stressful time; I look at it as a beautiful holiday, full of goodwill and a spirit of loving and kindness.

6. I even enjoy shopping; I love to watch the people in the malls.

7. Receiving presents is always good!

8. Visiting friends and seeing their decorations is good too!

9. I love baking holiday cookies; we had a tradition in our family of making cookies called Sand Tarts. You had to make the dough beforehand, chill it, then roll it out thin and use cookie cutters. Then we'd brush them with beaten egg, sprinkle on yellow, red and/or green sugar or sprinkles, saving, of course, the cinnamon and walnuts for the horse cookie cutter. Don't know why, but the horse always was done different. My parents would do this each year and I couldn't wait to do this with my kids. Alas!

10. A holiday table, laid with all the trimmings, and all the foods I enjoy cooking at Christmas: roasted turkey or maybe a crown roast of pork, chestnut stuffing, mashed potatoes, green crunchy string beans with slivered almonds, brussels sprouts with a mustard sauce, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie for afters...mmm!

11. Although I'm not religious, I love going to a church service on Christmas Eve and singing the carols & hymns, not that I can carry a tune to save my life (but I do know all the words!).

12. Carolers; I love wandering carolers, especially when it's snowing!

13. The smell of a fresh Christmas tree, or wreath!


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





43 comments:

Julie said...

Got to agree with #4, that's the best part of Christmas. #6? Ugh Ugh Ugh!

Unknown said...

Great Thursday post! Come see mine before everyone drinks it!

Anonymous said...

The brussels sprouts with mustard sauce sounds good! I'm the only one who likes them here, so I hardly ever have them. I like them with Tabasco sauce too. Collard greens too. You've inspired me to get some anyway - they'll have to deal. lol

I want the tree to be up for a long time too and the smell is so nice!

Your Christmas traditions are so nice. :-)

ellen b. said...

Sounds like your house would be a nice place to enjoy Christmas. Nice TT...

Nicholas said...

#10 makes me so hungry! You make it sound so delicious (I'll pretend I didn't see the bit about Brussels sprouts).

SusieJ said...

I love Christmas too. I will try the mustard sauce -- as I love mustard.

Unknown said...

I don't get stressed either. I enjoy it, do what I can and forget about the rest. Isn't it about having fun? :-)

Oooh, I love baking cookies. We made so many different types when I was a kid but I limit it to a handful now. Still, it's a great memory.

Forgetfulone said...

MMM! I love the smell of a real Christmas tree.

tommie said...

love the smell of a fresh cut tree....but I can only do garland outside since it makes me sneeze so much!

Those cookies sound wonderful!

Jenny McB said...

What a great post to get into the holiday spirit! I enjoy the malls during December, it's just the parking.

pussreboots said...

I like this time of year because I get to see my friends and family. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

Sandee said...

Yep, you love Christmas just like I do. Excellent list. Have a great TT and a Merry Christmas. :)

Shesawriter said...

Number four is the best part. :-)

Mrs. G. said...

I'm with you. I don't find Christmas a stressful either. I control how much I want to do and that's that. I don't go into debt or stretch myself too thin.

I love to buy gifts and make homemade caramels for my kid's teachers.

I put up my tree up this weekend, and I am looking forward to it. I love unpacking all the old special ornaments...they're like old friends.

Maribeth said...

Simply having a wonderful Christmas time...I'm simply having a wonderful Christmas time!!!!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Great list Janet, we haven't had carolers in YEARS. I so agree with your entire list!

Lori said...

If only I could relax enough to enjoy all of the things on your list (sigh). Thanks for the inspiration anyway.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hmmm. I'm not getting your feed now. Weird.

You know, some of us non-Christmas celebrators like some of these same things...

Greatfullivin said...

Wonderful list. I will have to come by and read it again and again to help get me in the spirit this year. Your sand tarts sound wonderful. Have a great TT

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I agree 100% with all your lists from 1 to 13. They are all so true. That is for me, I don't know with others.

Open Grove Claudia said...

I am just going to have to hang around you a little bit. I am fairly dull on Christmas. Maybe your cheer will rub off!

Happy TT, Janet!

AutoSysGene said...

I thought I was the only one in the world that had a memory of Sand Tarts. I love that you found them on my blog and that I found them on yours. Here's to tradition...may we pass them on to the next generation!!

Anonymous said...

Good post.

http://journeywoman.typepad.com/

YellowRose said...

Wonderful Christmas post! Happy TT!

Secret Agent Mama said...

I love your TT this week. Just love it!!

Mine's up here!

AutoSysGene said...

Nope, grandma was from Ohio and German. I'm not really sure where the recipe came from, but we had them every year.

SJ Reidhead said...

I love the shopping!

The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Chelle Y. said...

I love this list and agree with you on all of it!

Hey, I like the new look too! :)

Anonymous said...

Christmas isn't stressful for me either -- unless I'm visiting the 'rents.

Happy TT and holidays.

Please stop by my superstitious edition.

I miss seeing Snape on your page but Johnny is never hard on the eyes.

Natalie said...

What a happy post! :) Merry Christmas to you!

My Thursday Thirteen is up too! :)

tanabata said...

I used to love helping to make or at least eating my mom's Christmas cookies. We'd always have so many, they'd last well into the New Year.
We always used to leave the tree up until mid Jan., Ukrainian New Year. :)

Zenmomma said...

i love the smell of a fresh cut tree. We're doing artificial this time around.

L^2 said...

Excellent list! I HATE shopping but I love giving gifts, so I'm willing to do it this time of year. :-)

Happy TT!

Cynthia said...

I love the smell of the Christmas tree! Love your new look to!

Kerith Collins said...

i love your pictures...i really love the tree! that is so cool.
kerith
http://kerithskorner.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I love your tree and post :) I LOVE the smell of trees too.

Heather said...

I love Christmas too, it is very magical!!

I am not a fan of the shopping though... too crowded makes me nervous!

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

I'm with ya... well, save #6. I avoid malls like the black death!

Anonymous said...

I love ornaments. Especially ones that were given to you as a present. Each year you remember the person who gave it to you. Even if you lose touch.
Nice TT.
Thanks for stopping by mine
Maribeth
www.marnini.wordpress.com

Robin said...

What a beautiful tree! I'd love to see the rest of your decorations too.

tickledpink.nicole said...

Awesome TT. And you're right, it's always nice getting gifts.

Malcolm said...

Sorry that it took me awhile to visit your TT. I tried to go to your Fond of Snape blog yesterday, but was unsuccessful. I just remembered that you were having problems with that one.

Anyways, I like your outlook on the holiday season. I too love to see the looks on people's faces when they are pleased with the gift that I bought them. However, you can have the mall shopping, lol.

~**Dawn**~ said...

Is that your tree?? It is *beautiful*...

4. I love finding the perfect gift for someone. (But I hate it when I think no one would ever possibly think of the same thing & then they do. ::sigh::)

9. We could never figure out why, but for some reason the Christmas tree cookies were the most popular in our family. They were all frosted sugar cookies. Not sure why we all fought over the trees...

11. Church on Christmas Eve is so peaceful... Especially if you can find a candlelight service.

12. We are going caroling in California on the 23rd!

13. Fresh cut pine is one of my very favorite scents too. =)